Monday, January 26, 2009

Antique style gotta-use-up-those-scraps CQ


I thought I'd share with you what I'm doing with that baggie of smaller scraps all of us CQers have accumulated. I've been doing CQ for over the 7 years, and that zip-loc babbie I was using to store this various scraps was bulging at the seams, so I decied to use them up as best I could without cutting too much of the fabric off. The result is this antique style CQ. It's not a stitch, flip, and cut method at all. I actually had to get out my box of pins to pin most of these raw edges under. After all, what I was trying to do, was use up as much of the scrap patch as possible withour cutting any of the fabric off. So you get this kind of antique looknig block. And you relly do have to baste those seams down, because some of these patches were held together with only pins. So I had to basted them. You got lots of scraps?? Hey, I've got four of these blocks going. YOu should try it too. There's no theme, shape or color to these blocks. Just using up scraps on an old bed sheet for my musslin. Oh, and old Proverbs, poems, and Psalms for the motifs. I even used words for the seem treatments. Yah. So, go for it!! I've even used a patch as small as 2 inches by 2 inches.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see you are definitely a hand-piecer. =) Your block looks wonderfully traditional.

Shawkl said...

Kim,

I find this very interesting...would you consider posting a kind of tutorial to show how you start such a block? I know it seams simple to you...but it looks hard to me.